Monday, February 21, 2005

“Reading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.”
– Benjamin Franklin

In reading this quote, I am once again convinced that I would have liked Benjamin Franklin. I am particularly fond of this quote because I think it strikes at the heart of many of the problems we have in our society today. First and foremost of these problems are that we do not read enough.

I just finished reading Re-Imagine by Tom Peters. It is a fascinating book and anyone remotely involved in business should read it. I believe Tom Peters may not be completely accurate about many of his statements. But I also believe he is closer to the truth than most other business books I have read.

I suppose Ben Franklin would like to hear I have spent quite a bit of time meditating about this book. The ideas, statements, and facts in this book have given me quite a lot to think about. I have found most of this book very thought-provoking. Some parts of this book I read more than once to make sure I understood it completely. Although there were times when it was difficult to put the book down, there were also times when I had to put the book down to allow adequate time for the ideas to “sink-in.”

In case you didn’t know it, discourse means to discuss and converse. Once again, Benjamin Franklin would be happy to know that I have talked about this book to several people. In fact, I have talked a great deal about this book to several people. I am certain there are people who will be glad to know that I have finally finished this book and are anxious to see me read something different! To those people I beleaguered about the ideas in this book, I apologize.

After reading this, I hope you are at least interested enough to pick up a copy of this book and read it yourself. For what its worth, when was the last time you read a book that, to use the words of Mr. Franklin, made you a full, profound, and clear person. By the way, if you haven’t read anything that fits in this category may I recommend Re-Imagine by Tom Peters? Rest assured that I would be more than willing to enter into a discourse with you about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home