Wednesday, April 28, 2004

“Don’t let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you’re crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you’re lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you’re greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn’t understand.” – Robert G. Allen

Why is it that when you share your dreams with someone they feel obligated to twist your dream a fantasy that could never possibly be fulfilled? Why is it that when I push myself a little harder towards something I really want people declare that I am crazy? Why is it that when I take a second job I am greedy?

Could it be that when I talk about my dreams I am reminding them of the dreams they don’t have, or worse, have given up on? Could it be that by not having something that drives them, makes them push harder, they feel a little less alive? Could it be that I’m taking a second job not just for the income, but for the opportunities, for the experiences it offers, growth opportunities, and for increased knowledge to make me a better person?

Personally, I find that I prefer to be around the people the average person considers crazy, lucky, and greedy. They are more alive. They tend to be a lot more fun to be around than those who by comparison seem dead. They encourage me to dream bigger dreams, to keep going when I’m tired, to try become more than I am. And each time I become a little more alive.

For what its worth, let me leave you with a line from one of my favorite songs

“In a sky full of people only some want to fly, isn’t that crazy?” – Seal


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home