Friday, December 31, 2004

“Time keeps on slippin’ into the future” – Fly Like an Eagle by the Steve Miller Band

For the longest time, that statement made no sense to me. How could it be possible for time to be slipping into the future? I always thought that it should be the opposite. Time should be slipping past us into the past, shouldn’t it?

A number of years ago, I began to think differently about those words. Slowly I began to realize that time really is slipping into the future. Time in a general sense isn’t what slips into the future. Time that we should be spending working towards our dreams, our goals and aspirations is what is really slipping into the future.

You see it isn’t really time, but life itself that is “slipping into the future.” Have you ever noticed how many tasks, goals, and dreams people put off until “someday”? It often seems to me that people put off their entire lives until someday in the future. Someday they will take that trip. Someday they will start their own business. Someday they will write that book. Someday they will turn their dream into a reality, someday, but just not today. And so time “slips” into the future.

So my question to you is this, what have you put off until some day in the future? What did you put off in 2004 until later? What did you do with your life in the last year? Did you, like many people, spend your time simply trying to make it from one day to the next? Or did you accomplish something more than that? Did you take your first step towards writing your book, or did you make reservations for that trip you’ve spent years talking about?

Once I had children everyone was quick to point out how I should watch what I say, because children are like a sponge when it comes to language – especially when they are exposed to it on a regular basis. Most people were concerned about the language (cursing) that seems to accompany any plumbing project I tackle. After several years as a parent I find that I am more concerned about words that are even worse. I am concerned about my children hearing words like ‘can’t’ and ‘someday.’

For what its worth, I hope you resolve this year to stop allowing your life, your hopes and dreams, to keep “slippin’ into the future.”

Happy New Year!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home