Sunday, February 12, 2006

Happy Valentine’s Day!

Welcome to Amateur Night!

When I was in college I worked with a guy who had a well-deserved reputation as a party animal. When New Year’s rolled around I asked where he was going. He replied that he didn’t go out on New Year’s Eve because he called it “amateur night.” My friend explained that New Year’s Eve was the one night when everyone goes out – not the serious partiers. I guess I feel that way about Valentine’s Day.

Only the “amateur” romantics go all out for Valentine’s Day. The real romantics do all the Valentine stuff throughout the year. As my wife can tell you, I don’t do much for Valentine’s Day. However, I will make sure that she has flowers several times a year.

Speaking of flowers – try this: I just saw a “sale” price for a dozen long stemmed roses for $25. Take that same amount of money and see how many flowers you can get when it isn’t Valentine’s Day! Seriously, wait until all the roses from Valentine’s Day have wilted and then surprise your “significant other” with a fresh bouquet of daisies or carnations. I’ll bet you find you are well into fall before you run through the same $25 you spent on a dozen roses.

Back to the real topic: Amateur Night! If the events of September 11, taught us anything it should be that we never know when we will have the last opportunity to tell someone we care about them and how much they mean to us. Only a coward waits until February 14th!

My dad once told me that if I put flowers on his grave he would haunt me. His attitude is that it is a little late to tell him I care about him when he’s dead. I guess if you really care about someone you shouldn't wait until their gone to tell them. Growing up being exposed to that kind of mindset might explain why I view Valentine’s Day as Amateur Night!

I don’t get my wife big Valentine’s Day presents. I can’t wait that long. I will buy her flowers because it’ Thursday and she hasn’t had flowers on any Thursday this month!

For What Its Worth, if you care about someone, show or tell them every chance you get. You never know when you’ll never get another opportunity.

So indulge me while I repeat myself from an earlier posting:

“Although I conquer all the earth, yet for me there is only one city. In that city there is for me only one house, and in that house, one room only; And one woman sleeps there, the shining joy and jewel of all my kingdom.”

Anonymous, Ancient India


The first time I read it I knew exactly how the writer felt; all the world comes down to one person. That person was and still is Amy, my wife.

I still remember the first time I saw her. More than anything else I noticed her eyes and her smile. Those incredibly beautiful eyes whose soft gaze melts my soul and that magnificent smile. I still believe when she smiles all the angels in heaven smile with her.

I could go on for a very, very long time about what a wonderful person you will find hidden behind that veil of shyness. But I can tell you everything you need to know about her by telling you a brief story about what I believe will happen in the future.

One day God will call together all of his angels and discover that one is missing. Being THE Good Shepherd, just as it says in the Bible, he will leave the ninety-nine to go search for the missing one. When he finds this missing angel he will return her to the flock and there will be much rejoicing.

The world will be able to tell when this happens because when that happens, my wife will be taken from me and returned to her rightful home.

Happy Amateur Night Valentine’s Day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home