Sunday, November 28, 2004

“If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?” – Scott Adams

I have a deep personal problem with the term, “stupid question.” I have heard questions asked out of ignorance, but that is not quite the same thing as a “stupid question.” We have all asked questions out of ignorance, or a lack of knowledge. Personally, I think asking questions is still one of, if not the, best way to learn anything.

There are all types of questions, probing questions, affirming questions, leading questions, and many other types of questions. But stupid questions are something completely different. I still don’t understand why some people seem so anxious to preface their questions with the words, “stupid question.” Sometimes people almost seem to be bragging that they are asking a “stupid question.”

Tony Robbins talks about the power of questions. If you ever read any of his material, you will find that he has several lists of questions that he suggests you use to help solve problems and resolve issues with other people (or even yourself!). I tend to agree with Mr. Robbins that questions have power.

I like to ask questions. First of all, as I have already stated, I think that asking questions is still one of the best ways to learn about almost any topic. I have a few questions that are my favorites. They have become my favorites because they help me to learn a great deal.

For what its worth, here is a short list of some of my favorite questions:
Why?
How do you know?
What is the next step?
Why do you ask?
Why do you say that?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home