Friday, September 17, 2004

“Although I conquer all the earth, yet for me there is only one city. In that city there is for me only one house, and in that house, one room only; And one woman sleeps there, the shining joy and jewel of all my kingdom.”

Anonymous, Ancient India


The first time I read it I knew exactly how the writer felt; all the world comes down to one person. That person was and still is Amy, my wife.

I still remember the first time I saw her. More than anything else I noticed her eyes and her smile. Those incredibly beautiful eyes whose soft gaze melts my soul and that magnificent smile. I still believe when she smiles all the angels in heaven smile with her.

Believe it or not, I don’t carry a single picture of my wife. I don’t need to. I have spent hours memorizing every aspect of her face. I know every curve and every line. Videophones are for talking to people you don’t know – I know Amy. When talk to her on the phone, I can tell by the sound of her voice exactly her exact facial expression.

There is so much to say about her. Her tendency towards shyness is often mistaken as being aloof. The woman has a way with children. She draws, paints, decorates cakes, sings, and dances. Sadly, she also severely underestimates each one of her many talents.

She supports and encourages me, and our children, in so many ways. When my grandmother died Amy was pregnant and sick - really sick. She had 24-hour a day morning sickness. Despite this, she stood in below zero freezing cold weather to hold my hand during the funeral service. The wind chill was incredible and she was so weak I had to help hold her up against the force of the blowing wind. But nothing was going to prevent her from being where she felt should be.

I could go on for a very, very long time about what a wonderful person you will find hidden behind that veil of shyness. But I can tell you everything you need to know about her by telling you a brief story about what I believe will happen in the future.

One day God will call together all of his angels and discover that one is missing. Being THE Good Shepherd, just as it says in the Bible, he will leave the ninety-nine to go search for the missing one. When he finds this missing angel he will return her to the flock and there will be much rejoicing.

The world will be able to tell when this happens because when that happens, my wife will be taken from me and returned to her rightful home.

Happy Anniversary Amy
Love,
Mr. Doug

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home