Thursday, August 19, 2004

"Two things a man should never be angry at: what he can help, and what he cannot help." — Thomas Fuller

I have a problem. I want to share this quote with too many people. I guess I am tired of listening to people complain about things they can change. I’m not sure why people get stuck on getting angry instead of doing something, but they do. I really think some people have made a hobby out of getting angry and complaining.

I guess it must be easier to be angry at something than to change it. I can’t help thinking that even though it may be more work; the benefits far exceed any amount of work that goes into changing it. For one, you might end up being happier.

I don’t understand how something can bother people enough to upset them and ruin their moods, and still not be motivated to change it. I have a degree in Psychology and I still don’t understand that! Perhaps it has something to do with why there are so many art critics compared to artists.

In writing this I find myself thinking back to something that happened to me decades ago. I realized there was a problem and I jumped in and did what little I could to make the situation better. I didn’t receive any pay, nor did I get a medal or any type of award. I did sleep better that night knowing that I had at least done something. Interestingly, one of my friends at the time, laughed at me when I told him about how I participated in the solution of the problem. That was a long time ago and my friend’s reaction still confuses me. I don’t understand how you can mock anyone for pitching in and trying to help.

For what its worth, I want to leave you with a marriage to two advertising slogans for different products – Glad garbage bags and Nike shoes.

“Don’t get mad, just do it!”



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home