Thursday, September 09, 2004

Digging a Well

I apologize for not having updated the site for a while, but I’ve been busy digging a well – sort of. Allow me to explain.

A friend of mine has a book on his desk by Harvey Mackay called, “Dig Your Well Before You’re Thirsty.” I haven’t read the book, but I really like the title. It got me thinking that most of us don’t bother to dig our well until we are thirsty – really thirsty!

What I’m talking about here is planning ahead. I’ve noticed recently that society doesn’t really encourage us to plan ahead. Why should we? If you run out of milk just go to the 24-hour grocery store. If you don’t have enough cash, just hit the ATM on the way.

If you really stop to look, you will see this lack of planning – a planning crisis is everywhere. I’m still amazed at the number of people who don’t bother thinking about dinner until their hungry and all of the restaurants are packed!

Last night I went through some road construction (ah Summer in Illinois!). I deliberately left enough space between my car and the vehicle in front of me so I could more easily change lanes if necessary. When I realized that I needed to be in the other lane, it was easy to maneuver into the other lane because I had left myself some room to move. I passed three other drivers who were trapped in the wrong lane until the vehicle in front of them moved forward so they could move.

What I observed wasn’t really “gridlock” as much as a lack of planning. You see I knew there was going to be road construction so I left a few minutes early. So the five minute delay caused by the road construction didn’t lead to me being late, an ulcer, or road rage – it actually got me to my destination five minutes early!

So you see, I’ve been busy “digging my well.” Last night, after I checked the weather forecast I laid out my clothes for today. As a result, this morning I had time to write this before getting ready for work. I thought I was doing pretty good planning out the next section of the classes I am currently teaching. Then last night I spoke with an instructor who is already putting material and test questions together for next semester!

For what its worth, this all reminds me of something I read once. The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago. The second best time to plant a tree is today!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home